The IDOE has created an opportunity for certified staff to control their own professional development by enabling staff to choose a variety of experiences to fulfill the 90 hours required for license renewal. Experiences include conferences, workshops, curriculum development, mentoring, coursework, and school improvement plan work. Details for earning Professional Growth Points are below.
EACS Professional Growth Policy
- Professional Growth Point (PGP) activities should be approved BEFORE the activity takes place.
- A supervisor may grant blanket approval of certain activities i.e. curriculum or school improvement work.
- PGPs will be awarded for a minimum of one hour of acceptable activity (see links). Increments of 15 minutes can be accumulated beyond the one-hour. For example, an after-school meeting that lasts one hour and 45 minutes would equal 1.75 PGPs.
- PGPs may also be awarded using a combination of before/after school contract time and additional continuous time to equal a minimum of one hour. For example, the student day ends at 2:55 pm and the teacher day ends at 3:15 pm. A teacher may begin the one-hour professional development time at 2:55 pm and conclude at 3:55 pm earning one PGP.
- Teachers engaged in preapproved peer observation using their contracted planning time may receive partial PGP points (less than one hour) due to the shortened time frame for class observation.
- Lunch or break time within an activity may NOT be counted toward PGP points. An eight-hour day with 1.5 hours for lunch should equal 6.5 PGPs.
- PGPs awarded by an out-of-district source are determined by the provider.
*Please remember that licenses that expire within the teacher contract year are good for the entire school year, but must be renewed prior to the following year.