Legal Definition of Assistive Technology device as stated in Article 7 of Indiana’s Department of Education interpretation of IDEIA, 2007.
"Assistive technology device" means any item; piece of equipment; or product system; whether acquired commercially off the shelf, modified, or customized, that is used to increase, maintain, or improve the functional capabilities of a student with a disability. The term does not include a medical device that is surgically implanted or the replacement of such device.
Practical Definition of Assistive Technology device:
An assistive technology device is any low or high tech piece of equipment or aid that enables a student to better access their academic environments and make progress.
Legal Definition of Assistive Technology service as stated in Article 7 of Indiana’s Department of Education interpretation of IDEIA, 2007.
"Assistive technology service" means any service that directly assists a student with a disability in the selection, acquisition, or use of an assistive technology device. The term includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) The evaluation of the needs of a student with a disability, including a functional evaluation of the student in the student's customary environment.
(2) Purchasing, leasing, or otherwise providing for the acquisition of assistive technology devices for students with disabilities.
(3) Selecting, designing, fitting, customizing, adapting, applying, maintaining, repairing, or replacing assistive technology devices.
(4) Coordinating and using other therapies, interventions, or services with assistive technology devices, such as those associated with existing education and rehabilitation plans and programs.
(5) Training or technical assistance for the following:
(A) A student with a disability or, if appropriate, the student's family.
(B) Professionals (including individuals providing education or rehabilitation services), employers, or other individuals who provide services to, employ, or are otherwise substantially involved in the major life functions of students with disabilities.
Practical Definition of Assistive Technology service:
Assistive Technology (AT) service means any service that assists a student identified with a disability, their family and/or staff that works with them, in the selection, acquisition and/or use of an AT device as it relates to the student’s academic needs.
These services may include, but are not limited to, evaluation, training, and/or consultation