Another school year has just come to an end and we have already begun preparing for the 2016-2017 school year which begins for students on Tuesday, August 9th. I would like to thank our students, staff, parents, and community members for working alongside us to make this 2015-16SY another successful year in East Allen County Schools! Though the regular school year has ended, we continue to provide several educational opportunities for our students during the months of June and July leading up to registration at our schools for the 2016-2017 school year in August. If you need more information about any of the opportunities listed below, please contact your child’s school for more information:
- I-Read 3 Remediation: May 31 – June 23
- Summer School: June 6 – July 1
- Summer Refugee Program: June 6 – July 1
- Jumpstart & Kindergarten Countdown: July 5 - 29
- On-line Registration: July 27 – August 3
- Building Registration: August 1 & 2
Because this is summer break, I want to highly suggest that parents work with and encourage their child(ren) to READ, READ, READ over the summer. Below are 10 reasons why it is important to read during summer break:
- Kids who read often get better at it.
- Reading exercises our brains.
- Reading improves concentration.
- Reading teaches children about the world around them.
- Reading improves a child’s vocabulary and nurtures more highly-developed language skills.
- Reading develops a child’s imagination.
- Children who read do better at school.
- Reading is a great form of entertainment!
- Reading relaxes the body and calms the mind.
- Reading with your child is a time to bond.
Have a great summer break and remember to READ, READ, READ!
Dream it! Do it!
Dr. Kenneth H. Folks, Superintendent of Schools